Sunday, July 27, 2008

Update re: Bogus claim targeting Martha Raddatz & ABC News

It will help you understand this post if you’re familiar with Raddatz, ABC News targets of bogus claim.

I said in that post I’d send Raddatz a copy which I did.

She responded with an appreciative email.

I also said I’d send an apology note to ABC News head David Westin and Raddatz.

I’ve not done that, but will.

One reason for my delay: I wanted to be able to tell Westin and Raddatz the post had been of some use in knocking back the bogus McCain-54 story I’d published without first fact-checking it.

Some of my hoped for knocking back has happened.

For example, attorney and The Conservative Voice columnist Michael Gaynor, in a full and gracious apology to ABC News and Raddatz for publishing the bogus claim, cited my post as helping convince him the claim was bogus. ( Gaynor, one of those who early on saw through the Duke hoax and realized it had spawned a frame-up attempt, was overly generous when characterizing my Duke Hoax work. But that’s for another day.)

Others have cited the post when letting readers know the claim is bogus.

And still others are about to.

I want to wait until they do before sending my apology.

There’s more I plan to say in future posts about ABC News, Raddatz, and the bogus McCain-54 claim.

I also want to say a few things about the Net which all of us can use to provide one of Democracy’s essentials – information- or misuse by passing on falsehoods.

Stay tuned.


Anonymous said...

Joh: I am sad to say it appears your honesty has lost some of the posters here.
Tarheel Hawkeye