Monday, December 15, 2008

Coleman-Franken update @ 1 PM ET on Dec.15

A Google search with the entry “Coleman Franken” turned up the following UPI report as “the latest news” @ 1 PM ET today - - -

Both candidates in Minnesota's protracted U.S. Senate race have pledged to reduce the number of ballot challenges headed to the board overseeing the results.

Incumbent Republican Norm Coleman said he would have no more than 1,000 challenges and Democrat Al Franken promised to pare his total 500, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reported Monday. The campaigns together lodged more than 6,000 challenges as part of a statewide hand-count undertaken after the Nov. 4 election.

The state canvassing board is scheduled to convene Tuesday and has given itself until Friday to decide all challenges.

The board criticized both campaigns for the number of challenges they made. Franken spokesman Andy Barr said in a release Sunday that the pledge to reduce the number of challenges shows "we are taking to heart the good advice of the canvassing board and the best interests of Minnesotans who want to see this process move forward efficiently."

The Coleman campaign complained of a lack of uniform standards in the recount process.

"We continue to have concerns," Coleman campaign attorney Fritz Knaak said.

"Nonetheless, we are committed to a process that is efficient and reasonable."
The standards for accepting or rejecting ballots are presented in state law, the Pioneer Press said. In addition, Secretary of State Mark Ritchie gave local officials a 3,200-word set of instructions.



Secretary Mark Richie was elected with strong support from ACORN and George Soros.

Scott Johnson at Powerline is concerned political considerations are influencing Richie’s judgement.

Johnson also suspects there’s back-channel communication between the Franken camp and Ritchie’s office. He explains in “Minnesota’s recount goes south.”


Anonymous said...

The feigned outrage at the alleged auctioning of Obama's old senate seat is funny. Why don't Coleman/Franken just come out from 'behind the scenes' and let us know where the bidding stands.

Does it actually make sense for candidates to spend an average of 34 million dollars campaigning for a job that 'pays' lass than 200 thousand dollars a year? Maybe so, I am terribly confused by American politics, I probably just don't get it.

John Emerson said...

Powerline gave no evidence for their claims. Just saying "Democrat" and "ACORN" isn't enough. So far there's no evidence of anything underhanded by anyone, except for a lot of media Republicans screaming about fraud without showing any evidence.