Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama has named a foreign policy panel of former U.S. officials from whom he will seek advice on weighty foreign policy matters such as Iraq and Afghanistan. …The entire report’s here. It includes a list of panel members released by Obama headquarters.
Here’s the list (cue the piano player for "Seems like old times"):
* MADELEINE ALBRIGHT - Served a secretary of state in former President Bill Clinton’s administration and was a top adviser to the campaign of Obama’s former rival, Hillary Clinton.
* DAVID BOREN - The former governor and senator from Oklahoma chaired the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence [and was one of Bill Clinton's top choices in 1994 to serve as ecretary of defense. The job eventually went to William Perry (see below) - JinC]
* WARREN CHRISTOPHER - Was Bill Clinton’s first secretary of state and also served as deputy secretary of state in the Carter administration.
* GREG CRAIG - Was a former senior adviser to Albright in the Clinton administration and later led the team defending Bill Clinton against the impeachment charges involving Clinton’s affair with a White House intern. Despite long ties to both Bill and Hillary Clinton, Craig was an early supporter of Obama and has been part of his inner circle of advisers.
* RICHARD DANZIG - Served as secretary of the Navy under Bill Clinton and is an expert on counterterrorism.
* LEE HAMILTON - The former Indiana congressman co-chaired the blue-ribbon commission that investigated the Sept. 11 attacks and was a lead author of Iraq Study Group report that offered recommendations on Iraq to President George W. Bush in 2006.
* ERIC HOLDER - Was deputy attorney general in Bill Clinton’s administration and is working with Caroline Kennedy, daughter of slain President John F. Kennedy, in helping to guide Obama’s search for a vice presidential running mate.
* ANTHONY LAKE - Was national security adviser to Bill Clinton and has been part of the inner circle of Obama’s campaign.
* SAM NUNN - A former senator from Georgia who chaired the Senate Armed Services Committee, Nunn has long been viewed as a leading Democratic voice on foreign policy and some have speculated he might be looked at by Obama as a potential running mate.
* WILLIAM PERRY - Was secretary of defense under Bill Clinton.
* SUSAN RICE - The former assistant secretary of state for African Affairs [in the Clinton administration] is Obama’s senior foreign policy adviser.
* TIM ROEMER - The former Indiana congressman was a member of the 9/11 commission.
* JAMES STEINBERG - Was deputy national security adviser to Bill Clinton.
The panel’s Clinton dedux.
Hat tip: AC