Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Churhill Series - Jan. 19, 2009

(One of a series of weekday posts on the life of Winston S. Churchill.)

In 1930, Churchill turned 56. He also published
My Early Life which covered the period from his birth in 1874 to his entry into Parliament in 1902.

Here's most of the first paragraph from
My Early Life, broken into shorter paragraphs for readers' ease :

When does one first begin to remember. When do the waving lights and shadows of dawning consciousness cast their print upon the mind of a child?

My earliest memories are Ireland. I can recall scenes and events in Ireland quite well, and sometimes dimly, even people. Yet I was born on November 30, 1874, and I left Ireland early in the year 1879.

My father has gone to Ireland as secretary to his father, the Duke of Marlborough, appointed Lord-Lieutenant by Mr. Disraeli in 1876.
...
We lived in a house called "The Little Lodge."
,,,
I remember my grandfather, the Viceroy, unveiling the Lord Gough statue in 1878. A great black crowd, scarlet soldiers on horseback, strings pulling away a brown shiny sheet, the old Duke, the formidable grandpapa, talking loudly to the crowd.

I recall even a phrase he used: "and with a withering volley he shattered the enemy's line." I quite understood that he was speaking about war and fighting and that a "volley" meant what the black-coated soldiers (Riflemen) used to do with loud bangs so often in the Phoenix Park where I was taken for my morning walks.

This, I think, is my first coherent memory.
As the twig is bent, so grows the tree.
_________________________________________________________
Winston S. Churchill,
My Early Life. (p. 1)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

John: The London Daily Mail of 01/06/09 has an editorial comment entitled "Obama's Victory" which you should find interesting. I don't know how to link it to your blog.
We've got about 4" of white stuff here on the Outer Banks. Hope you aren't snowed in.
Tarheel Hawkeye