Monday, January 19, 2009

Ayers Refused Entry Into Canada

The Toronto Star reports - - -

An American education professor, one of the founders of a radical 1960s group known as the Weather Underground, which was responsible for a number of bombings in the United States in the early 1970s, was turned back at the Canadian border last night.

Dr. William Ayers, a professor of education at the University of Illinois-Chicago and a leader in educational reform, was scheduled to speak at the Centre for Urban Schooling at University of Toronto's Ontario Institute for Studies in Education. But that appearance has now been temporarily cancelled.

"I don't know why I was turned back," Ayers said in an interview this morning from Chicago. "I got off the plane like everyone else and I was asked to come over to the other side. The border guards reviewed some stuff and said I wasn't going to be allowed into Canada. To me it seems quite bureaucratic and not at all interesting ... If it were me I would have let me in. I couldn't possibly be a threat to Canada."

The rest of the TS’s story’s here.

*******************************************************

My comments:

Of course, with Ayers in charge, he’d have let himself into Canada.

The man’s always thought himself someone special, as in: “It’s up to me to bomb buildings and kill innocent people.”

One comfort Ayers has: The Toronto Star treated him with such respect. It was as if the NY Times or NPR was reporting the story.

Another comfort: Ayers will soon be allowed into Canada and can use this episode to play the martyr and hype his books.

Hat tip: AC

0 comments: