Tuesday, June 03, 2008

McCain's speech tonight

Glenn Reynolds at Instapundit.com says what I'll sign on to:

So I'm watching McCain's speech and his delivery isn't great. He's stumbled over some words, and at one point flashed a badly timed smile that reminded me of Joe Biden.

But on substance, well, he's being pretty substantive. He's laying out the differences between himself and Obama quite thoroughly and plainly.
"I don't seek the Presidency on the presumption I am blessed with such personal greatness that history has anointed me to save my country in its hour of need. . . . My country saved me."
Fox News' Chris Wallace has just said the speech read better than itsounded.

Karl Rove responded: "It was workmanlike."

I'll sign with Wallace and Rove, too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to know that Fox says McCain's speech was actually better than it was...thank god. Don't know where I'd be without them.

Also: learn to spell Karl Rove's name.

Anonymous said...

I thought the speech was the best I have heard this year from any of the candidates. He came across as humble, dedicated, statesmanlike and determined.

The smiles did looked forced. He looked scared to me. I admire that. The job SHOULD scare the bejesus out of anyone. Anyone who does not recognize the awesome importance of the job does not belong there.

For the first time, I sas him as a candidate I could vote for with a clear conscience. He made sense and he didn't doubletalk.

JWM said...

Anon @7:23,

Thank you for "learn to spell Karl Rove's name."

I've got it right now.

Anon @ 7:33,

You say: "He made sense and he didn't doubletalk."

I agree. It was his delivery I thought was poor.

Also, there was nothing new in the speech.

He needs to put major new proposals out there for a number of reasons.

So far he hasn't.

Thank you both for commenting.

John

SouthernGirl2 said...

John,

Really. I was bored to tears listening to John McCain! He drags on & on! Gaah!

I could hardly wait until the real deal with Barack Obama's speech!

Barack's speech was like..Wow,everything I expected & then some! He is an awesome man!

Game on..