Monday, January 28, 2008

Reader comments: most fine; some otherwise

Most comments at JinC “add to the blog.” Some point out errors I’ve made. Others contribute to informed and civil discussions on the threads. I often urge you to read the threads. I sometimes move comments to the main page and build posts on them.

But there are also comments, a minority to be sure, that add nothing to this blog. In fact, they detract from it.

Recently a handful of such comments have, among other things, used foul language, ridiculed a man with a physical handicap, expressed the wish to do physical harm to others or wished that physical harm, even death, would befall others with whom they disagreed. Some, with no credible evidence, have accused public figures of criminal acts.

I’ve deleted most of those comments. When I finish this post I’m going back through the comments to see if there are any I’ve missed.

I want to ask a few things of the great majority of you who comment here and add to the blog.

But first a few words to those whose comments are deleted and those who comment about how upset the deletions make them.

There is no need for any of you to be upset here. There are millions of blogs out there. Many welcome the kinds of comments you make and I delete. You can also have your own blogs and decide if you want to permit comments and, if you do, what your comment policy will be.

Now to Regulars and all others who comment within the rules here (Be civil, be fact-based and avoid ad hominems are the main ones):

During this election year I plan to post often on the campaign and public issues. I hope you “join the discussion.”

It may be necessary to go to some form of “administrator review” or registration but I’d like to avoid either or both alternatives if I can.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Finally, one more time, a “thank you” to each of you who adds to this blog.

John

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks John - I know you would clean this up.

Anonymous said...

Good for you, John.

I like visiting JiC because there's so little of the garbage you find at a lot of blogs.

Anonymous said...

keep up the good work John. It's your blog keep or delete at your discretion. Thanks for all you do.

wayne fontes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wayne fontes said...

I'd urge you to bear in mind what happened to Talkleft's forum. A group of 4-5 posters hijacked the conversation and made the forum about themselves. In the end most people left for Liestoppers.

JWM said...

To the first 3 Anons,

Thanks for your support. It means a lot.

To Wayne Fontes,

I appreciate your comment.

I haven't heard from you in a while.

I'm delighted to hear from you now but as they say, "I'm sorry for the occassion."

John

Anonymous said...

John,

Glad you're deleting.

Duke '79

Anonymous said...

Glad you're deleting.
Hopefully that will be enough.
Even the most determined trolls eventually get tired of having their posts disappear without a ripple.
The faster you can get them (i.e. before anyone reacts & "feeds the troll") the better. It may be necessary to remove replies as well as offending posts, so as to make trolling as completely unsatisfying as possible.

Anonymous said...

Your deletions have apparently been very effective. I have never read comments at JiC that I found inappropriate or offensive. Good job, as always.

JWM said...

Ralph,

You're right.

I didn't move quickly enough with the delete button.

BTW - Remember the exchanges Duke's Prof. Munger and I had?

As we came to the end of them we were posting nice things about them.

One of the things Munger posted at his blog was a citation of a comment you'd made early in the exchange which he thought was the best comment someone had made to him.

I hope you saw it.

Please let me know.

Best,

John

Anonymous said...

ON the subject of Trolls, what happened to "Just a Thought"?

Anonymous said...

I think the TL blog was micromanged out of existence.

JWM said...

Folks,

I just deleted a comment here.

Part of it said you couldn't say good things here about Sen. Obama.

You can.

John

Anonymous said...

John,

We love ya, but your spelling is atrocious.

Anonymous said...

The Spelling Police strike again - what a bore.

Anonymous said...

Does that mean I can't laugh at Edwards' former lip wart? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Anon 6:20,

Do you really "love" John?

Or do you just like to point out what you call his "atrocious" spelling errors?

John makes the kind of errors all of us who aren't perfect make.

And he corrects them.

Now what about you?

Tell us about yourself.

Are you perfect?

Are you Bob Ashley or Melanie Sill?

Anonymous said...

"I think the TL blog was micromanged (sic) out of existence."

Just like this one will be except for the old fogies who show up.

Anonymous said...

John,
there is a big difference in posting to share a point of view or educate
and blogging as a form of an anonymous attack.While most of us recognize it's hard to change deeply ingrained views,some feel a type of courage in the anonymity they seem to lack ineveryday life.And you're quite correct;there are places to post for everyone.
best,Corwin

Anonymous said...

Yeah, saw it, thanks.

Funny that it was a one-line snark that got such high praise.