Friday, July 18, 2008

APS says "Position Remains Unchanged"

Yesterday I posted Cool news about "human-induced global warming."

Today at its web site the American Physical Society posted the following statement:

The American Physical Society reaffirms the following position on climate change, adopted by its governing body, the APS Council, on November 18, 2007:

"Emissions of greenhouse gases from human activities are changing the atmosphere in ways that affect the Earth's climate."

An article at odds with this statement recently appeared in an online newsletter of the APS Forum on Physics and Society, one of 39 units of APS. The header of this newsletter carries the statement that "Opinions expressed are those of the authors alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of the APS or of the Forum." This newsletter is not a journal of the APS and it is not peer reviewed.
I'll post at Cool news about "human-induced global warming" a Readers Alert and link to this post.

When I make a mistake I say I'm sorry. In this case, however, I reported correctly yesterday and today. So I offer no "Sorry." I just updated to keep you informed.

I hope before too much time has passed I'm able to report the APS has in fact reversed its position.

Message to APS: Ideology is not science.

Hat tip: Michelle Malkin

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In a complex adaptive system such as human society, peer-reviewed journals tend to obstruct the recognition of new and valuable insights and tend to maintain unrealistic paradigms.

Anonymous said...

John -

There is an interesting piece by Paul MacRae from May 21, 2008. In it, he maintains that climate science (a la Al Gore and the IPCC) is not science because it fails Karl Popper's test of falsifiability.

If you have time, you can find the piece at:
http://www.paulmacrae.com/?p=26

Jack in Silver Spring