Sunday, April 29, 2007

INNOCENT: Duke Prof & the “I” word

"... these three individuals [David Evans, Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann,] are innocent of these charges."

North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper, Apr. 11, 2007
_________________________________________
In 1943 the musical Oklahoma gave us the wonderful song "I Can't Say No!"

"I'm just a girl who can't say no,
I'm in a terrible fix.
I always say 'Come on, let's go!
just when I oughta say nix. ...
In 2007 we’re learning some Duke faculty members can’t say, “They’re innocent,” just when the AG does.

One of them appears to be Biology professor Sherryl Broverman.

Not too long ago, Broverman wrote a lengthy email to KC Johnson claiming she’d been misquoted in a newspaper story. KC posted on it here and included her email in full.

The newspaper story reported on the innocence of the three young men framed while they were Duke students, and while Duke trustees, its head, Dick Brodhead, his “senior team,” and almost all members of Duke’s A&S faculty either said nothing critical of what Nifong and others were doing or expressed confidence in his “investigation.”

Here’s some of Broverman’s email to KC explaining her position regarding the Duke students’ innocence:
In science, if the data doesn't support the hypothesis, you drop or modify the hypothesis.

However, if the data doesn't exist because the experiment didn't work, one can't conclude anything. Looking at how Nifong handled the case, "the experiment didn't work" and one can't conclude anything.(emphasis added)

Listening to AG Cooper this afternoon, I accept that the data does not support the hypothesis, which in real life means that charges should be dropped.
There’s a lot more to Broverman’s email, but you get the idea.

It seems Broverman sees herself as just a scientist who can’t say, “They’re innocent.”

I posted about it here and here. Scores of commenters weighed in at KC’s post and the JinC posts, many IDing themselves as scientists.

Just about all the commenters had no problem saying, “They’re innocent.”

Most of those IDing as scientists rebuked Broverman for what they said was her misunderstanding and/or abuse of science. If you haven’t read the threads, I hope you do.

I emailed Broverman a copy of each of my posts and each time invited her to respond. I said I’d publish her response in full.

My question to Broverman: Why can’t you say, “They’re innocent?”

No response.

Perhaps my third email to Broverman will be the charm. It will certainly be my last attempt to give her a chance to say what even Brodhead now feels he can say.

A copy of my email to Broverman follows. I’ll keep you informed.
___________________________________________________

Dear Professor Broverman:

On the chance my previous emails (here and here) “fell off the radar screen,” I’m sending this link to a post I’ve just put up.

The post links to your email to KC Johnson regarding what you said was Newsday’s misquoting you on concerning the innocence of David Evans, Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann.

The post notes you failed to acknowledge anywhere in your email that, like NC Attorney General Roy Cooper and President Dick Brodhead, you believe the three young men are innocent.

The post gives you an opportunity to do so in a statement I’ll publish in full at JinC.

Something as brief as “I believe David Evans, Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann are innocent” will do it.

Of course, if you don’t believe that or wish to say something else, I’ll publish that in full up to 600 words.

Thank you for your attention to my request.

Sincerely,

John in Carolina

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

John - you are the best

Anonymous said...

don't hold your breath