Saturday, March 18, 2006

There's hope for liberals

Douglas Archibald, a retired Colby College professor, recently wrote in Colby Magazine:

I retired in August 2004, with two presentations at literature meetings in Liverpool providing a satisfying punctuation, then returned to volunteer for the MoveOn.org effort to change the administration in Washington.

The effort worked in Maine but not well enough across the country, and I descended into depression and alienation, the intensity of which startled me.
But Archibald didn’t let a few things like intense depression and alienation keep him down for long.

He told readers :
I joke with my children that I follow two slogans: "Keep the Faith" and "Living Well is the Best Revenge." That means golf, movies, nice meals, good book, the occasional peace vigil, regular volunteering at the homeless shelter.
That’s all fine. But I wish Archibald had mentioned mocha lattes with cinnamon.

Lattes are just as helpful to liberals fighting depression and alienation as a round of golf or nice meal; and less expensive too.

And the money liberals save by sipping lattes instead of golfing can be used to help pay for something special, like a trip to Havana.

Hat Tip: Best of the Web Today

0 comments: