Sunday, March 12, 2006

Straightarrow aims at MSM news organizations

I’ve never taken a reader’s comment and made it a post. But I’m doing that now. I think you’ll see why when you read the comment.

But first, some background to the comment from a frequent visitor, Straightarrow.

Raleigh News & Observer executive editor for news Melanie Sill said she and an academic interested in how declining ad revenues influence public policy news reporting had a lot to talk about at lunch the other day. That’s because, as Sill tells it, “investigative work (and) policy reporting (are) The N&O's backbone.”

I posted and asked whether Sill and the academic had discussed recent instances of N&O front page, headline stories that was either explicitly false or left out extremely important information. I said that if investigative and policy reporting are The N&O’s “backbone,” it’s a badly fractured one.

Then came Straightarrow’s comment:

The fracturing backbone of the print media could be the reason they are paraplegic, heading rapidly toward quadriplegia.

I prefer hard copy. I actually prefer the printed page to any other form of communication. Yet, I no longer subscribe to any newspaper or news magazine.

It has nothing to do with the plethora of alternatives, or the convenience or immediacy of those alternatives.

It has to do with the fact that I can no longer trust the print media, or for that matter, most broadcast media to report the news.

I cannot rely upon their accuracy, nor the depth of research to supply a whole story, nor their integrity to supply the facts untainted by personal or political agenda.

We hear a lot today about what is killing the newspaper business, and to a lesser extent the broadcast news business, and it almost always focuses on externals.

Denial is going to prove their last stupid decision.

What is killing them is the internal rot that makes them untrustworthy. They have lost the thinking public's trust, and soon they will lose the majority public's trust.

That is why their revenues are down. Advertisers don't want association with known frauds when they are trying to get the public to spend their money with them.

The Main Stream Media is becoming more and more exposed as frauds. It is fatal for a grifter to become known as one.
I hope you will pass Straightarrow’s comment along to others. It deserves a much wider readership than it will get here.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you John, I appreciate the kind words.

I more appreciate the site you have provided where reasoning is not out of fashion, principle is not an amusing anachronism, and love of liberty is a tangible thing, as it was for our founders. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Humorous. Straightarrow asserts that his rarified – and easily perturbed – sense of accuracy and objectivity prevents him from subscribing to a single organ of print journalism. Not a single one! Yet, Straightarrow thinks that "John In Carolina" is ... oh wait, let me quote him exactly ... "John in Carolina" is a place "where reasoning is not out of fashion, principle is not an amusing anachronism, and love of liberty is a tangible thing, as it was for our founders." Priceless. In other words, Straightarrow's real concern is that his views remain untested, unchallenged, untainted by the worldly circumstances unfolding around him, a preference that has – no matter how ferociously declaimed – nothing to do with a demand for truth, accuracy or anything else – Only Straightarrow's child-like need to remain masturbatory with what's in front of him already.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, ridicule does not equal reason. If your ox got gored, too bad. Fix your ox, don't be upset with those that see the problem.

As for the rest of your lack of observation you have posted on that of which you know nothing. You haven't posted any fact, but have used innuendo and misdirection to denigrate an opinion of another but you have not posted any fact. You have made accusation by putting words in someone else's mouth, but did so in total ignorance of the subject and in direct opposition to discoverable truth. You give all indications of being in the main stream media.

Here's a hint. John and I don't always agree and have hotly contested the interpretation of the same set of facts on occassion. But we were contesting how the facts were to be interpreted. Go look if you're interested. I doubt you will.

Anonymous said...

Psssst, Straightarrow? I've followed your posts -- at JIC and elsewhere for a couple of months -- I have a bead on your MO and am quite confident of the accuracy with which I've characterized the typing that you routinely submit as posts.

Anonymous said...

Well then, that relieves me of the duty of courtesy. I don't need to make allowance for ignorance where malevolence and falsity are the drivers.

You're simply a hateful liar.

You know it. I know it. If you are satisfied with yourself you are too easily pleased.

Anonymous said...

"Hateful liar"? not quite. What I'm calling you on is your self-congratulatory ignorance.

Anonymous said...

You're not calling me on anything. You simply don't know enough to do it. Even your charges ring false.

Your just a hateful liar. You have no basis for the charge nor the modifier.

Produce it.

Anonymous said...

In speaking of the print media, Straightarrow said:

I cannot rely upon their accuracy, nor the depth of research to supply a whole story, nor their integrity to supply the facts untainted by personal or political agenda.

In speaking of "John In Carolina", Straightarrow said it was a place:

"where reasoning [=personal or political agenda] is not out of fashion, principle [=personal or political agenda] is not an amusing anachronism, and love of liberty [=personal or political agenda] is a tangible thing, as it was for our founders."

Clearly, Straightarrow reads sources that align with his preconceptions [=personal or political agenda] and reinforce his views, a reality that he demonstrates daily in his various posts. Self-congratulatory. Masturbatory. Straightarrow.

Anonymous said...

Still waiting. That you disagree with me does not make me wrong. But how is it that you disagree that my opinion is mine?

Anybody reading what I wrote would know I was speaking for me. Now you have the nerve to tell me I didn't mean it or that isn't my opinion. Or that you know what caused me to reach that opinion or that you know how long it took to form or that you know how I reached it.

Yet you find no refutation for anything I said, except that I said it. How weak is that?

You apply labels without knowing what they mean, all you know is that they sound denigrating.

You're just a lot way more than arrogant. And still a hateful liar.

Are you Pastor Ray? You sound so ever much like that moonbat.

You should spend more time educating yourself. Real education, not the training you have so far received. A monkey can be trained.

Now go lock yourself in the bathroom alone again.

Anonymous said...

heh heh heh, When the ball's out of bounds, I call it. Nailed ya, bud.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh,anyway. If I was a better man, I wouldn't find humor in how pathetic you are. But, to my shame, I am not. Laughing my ass off.