Thursday, March 01, 2007

Conspiracy “solo auditions”

AMac a JinC Regular who occasionally guest blogs at other sites notes concerning Nifong’s filing yesterday:

”Of note is that this defense is the first time that Nifong has clearly signaled that he's going to throw Gottlieb and Himan under the bus--after all, anything that went wrong (if anything did) is wholly their fault.

Now that Gottlieb and Himan know what's in store for them, how will they respond? […]
The conspiracy “solo auditions” may already be underway in various attorneys’ offices.

“I mean I’m a police investigator. I naturally respect the DA. So when he tells me …..”

“How does this sound? I say to the jury, 'I don’t know why but I always get nervous when a nurse starts talking about rectal exams. So when the SANE nurse at Duke ….’ “

“What if I told the jury none of this would have happened if Chief Chalmers had been around to tell me what to do?”

Don’t you wish you could be in the attorneys’ offices for the “solo auditions?”

I hope someone posts a schedule.

Meanwhile, Nifong will also be going over his “solos.”

“I trusted Gottlieb at first because he had such a good memory but this latest stuff. ….”

“”At first I had my doubts. But when I read those Raleigh News & Observer stories on March 24 and 25 I naturally said to myself what ten of thousands of other N&O readers said to themselves, “The players must be guilty.

Then with Ruth Sheehan’s March 27 column about how disgusting the players' silence was and all, I just started saying that stuff when I began talking to the public later on March 27.

When I think back on it all, I know I should never have believed what I read in the N&O.

It was like I was brainwashed by the N&O. I didn’t mean to do anything wrong. I'm not a crook!

And do you think it would be OK for me to tell the jury that I think the N&O should disclose the parts of the anonymous interview it’s still withholding from the rest of media and the public?

Or will that just get us all in more trouble?”

3 comments:

Ex-prosecutor said...

I have two comments as to this post:

First, it is a lawyer's dream when the multiple parties on the other side begin pointing fingers at each other. Usually, it happens when there are multiple defendants in a criminal case. The effect, usually, is that they all go down together. Here, Mr. Nifong is trying to save himself by dumping on everyone else. I don't think it will work because his placing blame on the Durham police department, several of its officers and Dr. Meehan means that, for avoiding civil liability, they now must return the favor and say Mr. Nifong is a liar. I believe the circumstantial evidence will prove this is the case.

Secondly, to save his skin, Mr. Nifong has fired a bullet between the eyes of whatever is left of the criminal case. He's made un unprosecutable mess even worse, if that's possible.

AMac said...

Keep up the good work, John.

The last, best hope of the enablers isn't that they discover honor or be seen as honest people. Those fantasies had faded by last April.

It's that the Lacrosse Rape Hoax fade quietly into the back pages of dusty history books. That we move on to more important matters and more compelling meta-narratives.

Blogs--and hyperlinks--have really put a spanner in the gears. The actors lie and evade--and then people call them on their assertions, even link to documentary evidence of what they actually said and did. (The nerve!)

Between them, civil-trial depositions and sauve-qui-peut finger pointings are going to take this scandal to a new level.

Bring on the conspirators' circular firing squad.

Anonymous said...

The North Carolina legal system travesty should be the main issue in the next gubernatorial and attorney general races. What a joke!