Thursday, November 10, 2005

Thank you, Marines

(Welcome visitors from Mudville Gazette open post. )

Today is the 230th anniversary of the founding of the United States Marine Corps.

I don't have words to properly express what I and my family owe the Marines.

I'll just say thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Today, the U.S. Postal Service is issuing Distinguished Marines stamps honoring Gunnery Sgt. John Basilone, Sgt. Maj. Daniel "Dan" Joseph Daly, Lt. Gen. John A. Lejeune and Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller.

We can all get some idea of what the nation owes the Marines from reading brief descriptions of the some the service of the Marines honored on the stamps.

Gunnery Sgt. John Basilone

Basilone received the Medal of Honor during World War II for holding 3,000 Japanese soldiers at bay for 72 hours at Guadalcanal. He also destroyed a Japanese gun emplacement at Iwo Jima and was killed there during battle. He was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross and Purple Heart.


Sgt. Maj. Daniel 'Dan' Joseph Daly

Daly received the Medal of Honor twice: in 1900, during the Boxer Rebellion, and in 1915, when Marines were deployed to Haiti to protect American lives in the wake of an anti-government uprising.

Lt. Gen. John A. Lejeune

The first Marine general to command an Army division in combat during World War I, Lejeune is credited with saving the Marine Corps from budget cuts and consolidations after the war and establishing Marine Corps institutions and traditions.

Lt. Gen. Lewis B. 'Chesty' Puller

Puller was a commander in World War II and Korea. He is the only Leatherneck to win the Navy Cross five times for heroism and gallantry. He received 14 personal decorations in combat, five Navy Crosses, one Army Distinguished Service Cross and several campaign medals, unit citation ribbons and other awards.

(Go here to see color photos of the stamps.)

You can visit the USMC official site here. It may take a few minutes to load up today. I'll bet they're getting a lot of visits. Great!

Here are links to our 3 major Marine bases in North Carolina:

Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry Point

Marine Corps Air Station New River

Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune

Once more: Thank you, Marines.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear JWM,

I perused your post (Thank you, Marines) with much interest as I was looking for ways to buy and sell road construction safety equipment. Unfortunately your article was not exactly what I was looking for
road construction safety equipment. But luckily there is a site I have found that allows you to buy and sell anything like road construction safety equipment on interest free credit and you can pay for your road construction safety equipment whenever you want. Here's the link one more time: road construction safety equipment.

Anonymous said...

Dear JWM,

I perused your post (Thank you, Marines) with much interest as I was looking for ways to buy and sell company construction mn road. Unfortunately your article was not exactly what I was looking for
company construction mn road. But luckily there is a site I have found that allows you to buy and sell anything like company construction mn road on interest free credit and you can pay for your company construction mn road whenever you want. Here's the link one more time: company construction mn road.

Anonymous said...

Dear JWM,

I perused your post (Thank you, Marines) with much interest as I was looking for ways to buy and sell quality assurance highway construction. Unfortunately your article was not exactly what I was looking for
quality assurance highway construction. But luckily there is a site I have found that allows you to buy and sell anything like quality assurance highway construction on interest free credit and you can pay for your quality assurance highway construction whenever you want. Here's the link one more time: quality assurance highway construction.

Anonymous said...

Dear JWM,

I perused your post (Thank you, Marines) with much interest as I was looking for ways to buy and sell quality assurance highway construction. Unfortunately your article was not exactly what I was looking for
quality assurance highway construction. But luckily there is a site I have found that allows you to buy and sell anything like quality assurance highway construction on interest free credit and you can pay for your quality assurance highway construction whenever you want. Here's the link one more time: quality assurance highway construction.

Anonymous said...

Dear JWM,

I perused your post (Thank you, Marines) with much interest as I was looking for ways to buy and sell road construction of pa. Unfortunately your article was not exactly what I was looking for
road construction of pa. But luckily there is a site I have found that allows you to buy and sell anything like road construction of pa on interest free credit and you can pay for your road construction of pa whenever you want. Here's the link one more time: road construction of pa.

Anonymous said...

Dear JWM,

I perused your post (Thank you, Marines) with much interest as I was looking for ways to buy and sell georgia highway construction. Unfortunately your article was not exactly what I was looking for
georgia highway construction. But luckily there is a site I have found that allows you to buy and sell anything like georgia highway construction on interest free credit and you can pay for your georgia highway construction whenever you want. Here's the link one more time: georgia highway construction.

Anonymous said...

Dear JWM,

I perused your post (Thank you, Marines) with much interest as I was looking for ways to buy and sell how to repair a road bicycle. Unfortunately your article was not exactly what I was looking for
how to repair a road bicycle. But luckily there is a site I have found that allows you to buy and sell anything like how to repair a road bicycle on interest free credit and you can pay for your how to repair a road bicycle whenever you want. Here's the link one more time: how to repair a road bicycle.

Anonymous said...

Dear JWM,

I perused your post (Thank you, Marines) with much interest as I was looking for ways to buy and sell highway construction project. Unfortunately your article was not exactly what I was looking for
highway construction project. But luckily there is a site I have found that allows you to buy and sell anything like highway construction project on interest free credit and you can pay for your highway construction project whenever you want. Here's the link one more time: highway construction project.