Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The Churchill Series - Nov. 9, 2005

(One of a series of daily posts about Winston S. Churchill.)

To date, every post in The Churchill Series has cited a source for comments, sentiments and actions attrubuted to Churchill.

This post is different. It relies on “open sourcing” (you) for confirmation or rejection of three remarks that have long been attributed to Churchill, but for which I can’t find confirmation in a reliable source.

Here they are:

To a young mother who told him she and her husband agreed their baby looked like him: “Madam, all babies look like me.”

To the child of a member of his staff who interrupted him in the library at Chartwell, and asked whether he was the greatest man in the world: “Of course, now buzz off.”

And to the beautiful young woman across the table at an Edwardian dinner party: “We are all of us worms; but I do believe I’m a glowworm.”

Please, let’s hear from you.

Or as WSC would put it: “Pray reply by earliest post.”

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

Hi, John. I have a problem I need lots of help with. Liberals have been trying to start a "wear black on Fridays until our troops come home" and I hope to start a counter to that.
One problem: I can't choose a color. So, I'll just count all Conservative votes that I get, and whatever reasonable choice gets the most votes, I'll choose.
Anyway, I hope you can come!

Anonymous said...

I would say to wear a red white and blue lapel pin.

Else you could just kick them all in the Churchils.

-C

Anonymous said...

"Churchill once during a dinner party remarked to Violet Asquith: 'We are all worms. But.I do believe I am a glow worm.'"

Source:

The Churchill Centre, PROCEEDINGS
of the International Churchill Societies 1988-89


On this comment:
"Of course. Now buzz off!", also from the Churchill Centre

They have no reference to your first quote.