Thursday, February 07, 2008

Romney's sense, class and values

This from the AP:

Mitt Romney suspended his faltering presidential campaign on Thursday, effectively sealing the Republican presidential nomination for John McCain. "I must now stand aside, for our party and our country," Romney told conservatives.

"If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror," Romney told the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington. ...

"This is not an easy decision for me. I hate to lose. My family, my friends and our supporters ... many of you right here in this room ... have given a great deal to get me where I have a shot at becoming president. If this were only about me, I would go on. But I entered this race because I love America," Romney said. ...

"I disagree with Senator McCain on a number of issues, as you know. But I agree with him on doing whatever it takes to be successful in Iraq, on finding and executing Osama bin Laden, and on eliminating al- Qaida and terror," Romney said. ...
I think Romney would have made a very good President.

But it was clear if he was to have any chance for the GOP's presidential nomination, he'd have to get into a "blood-bath" fight in which he'd demolish McCain.

That would've left the GOP weakened and its nomination not worth a tinker's damn.

Romney showed good political sense in passing on a fight that would've had no winners except on the Dem side.

He bowed out today with class and expressing what should be every presidential candidate’s priorities.

0 comments: