Thursday, June 14, 2007

INNOCENT: Cheshire Made Me Smile

"... these three individuals [David Evans, Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann,] are innocent of these charges."

North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper, Apr. 11, 2007
______________________________________________________
In today’s Durham Herald Sun’s account of testimony yesterday at DA Nifong’s ethics trial and reactions to the testimony, we read this excerpt:

[Defense attorney for David Evans, Brad Bannon,] criticized Nifong's inflammatory pre-trial statements. They included telling the news media that "one would wonder why one needs an attorney if one was not charged and had not done anything wrong."

As Bannon was testifying, courtroom spectator Betty Lawrence -- an attorney representing Nifong legal opponent and community activist Beth Brewer -- recalled being shocked when learning of that particular remark last year because of Americans' right to legal counsel.

"And to say that you can infer that somebody's guilty because they consult a lawyer is grossly unfair and goes against the whole scheme of things," Lawrence said.

Fellow Evans attorney Joe Cheshire said if he were questioning the Durham prosecutor, he would ask, " 'Who are those two people sitting with you, Mr. Nifong?' He would answer, 'They're my lawyers.' "

Cheshire said he'd remind Nifong of that pre-trial remark about not needing an attorney when innocent and ask, "What is going on here?"
Yes, what Nifong did was terrible and almost certainly criminal. But I couldn’t help smiling at Cheshire’s remark.

What about you?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it did make me smile. I would smile even more if it was actually done.

Anonymous said...

I've never been sure of what the phrase "poetic justice" means, or what its etymology is, but if means what I think it means, we'll soon see one of the spine-tingling scenes where the bad guy, arrogant and smarmy, is finally confronted with having to face up to what he's dished out to others.

It's almost painful to watch a man and his career melt away (I said almost), but then I go back and re-read KC's posts from last summer and the rage burns again.

KC's post on the testimony of Goodenow provided one of the scenes.

Anonymous said...

I'd say touche, as in a valid, successful criticism or an effective point in an argument and I would smile.

Anonymous said...

"But I couldn’t help smiling at Cheshire’s remark."

Smiling like the Cheshire cat?

DJ Stillwater said...

As I watched Nifong's pathetic performance today, I almost began feeling sorry for him, until I realized this was a guy who got up every morning, looked himself in the mirror, and decided to continue this travesty in order to get elected.
For me, the case was never about withholding DNA, the media coverage, or the professors at Duke.
To me, it was about integrity and a District Attorney doing the right thing and dropping this case when the evidence cleary showed he was in no way going to proof this case beyond a reasonable doubt.
I hope he is prosecuted, but unfortunately I don't think he will be.