Friday, February 23, 2007

The Churchill Series - Feb. 23, 2007

(One of a series of weekday posts on the life of Winston S. Churchill.)

Readers Note: An Anon gently noted a dating error in the Feb.21 series post. I was off by a century. I'd said "1998" instead of "1898."

I corrected and left a "thank you" on the post thread but I'm doing it here as well so you'll know of my error, and on the chance Anon may have missed my "thank you."

John
___________________________________________________

Light and slight today

Many have held the office of Lord Privy Seal. Most are now forgotten. Others are not: Stanley Baldwin and Anthony Eden, for instance.

Churchill, for all his offices and honors, was never Lord Privy Seal. But the office wouldn’t have suited him.

From the Churchill Achieves Centre, Churchill College, Cambridge we learn about the office of Lord Privy Seal: “A historic office filled by a Cabinet Minister without responsibility for a particular department.”

In “ancient times” the King had two seals: A state seal for use with documents of state and a privy seal for private documents. A different Lord was charged with the care of each.

A place in the British Cabinet without any responsibility.

I think I have what it takes to be Lord Privy Seal. What about you?

I hope you have a good weekend. I look forward to seeing you next week.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate the thank-you! I caught the "Churchill bug," so to speak, while participating in a Duke-sponsored study abroad program at Oxford a few summers ago. After visiting Blenheim Palace, I became fascinated by the man and his message. Thanks for the daily dose of Churchill--informative, entertaining, and often inspiring!