Sunday, December 24, 2006

Talking with JinC Regulars and Readers – 12-24-06

(A post in the “old” web log tradition: “notes at the end of the day” for others who know “what they’re about.” Don’t look for many hyperlinks; expect “shorthand.” JinC)

It’s Christmas Eve. So this will be short and in haste. Much more in a Talking on Tuesday.

I always with "thanks" to you who point out errors, say nice words and give “heads up.”

Tonight an Anon. gave a “heads up” saying go to N&O’s Editors’ Blog and look at what editor Linda Williams just said about the N&O’s decision to withhold some of what the false accuser said in the now discredited N&O’s interview.

Take a look when you have time. Williams' statement is on the thread at 17:17 pm 12-24 at this post.

I’ve printed a face copy and will save it. I hope many of you do too.

Williams says what the N&O withheld from its Mar. 25 story reporting what the false accuser said (Williams herself doesn’t use the FA term) wasn’t really important.

Then Williams goes on to say if the N&O had printed what Precious said instead of withholding it, it might have been a libel for the N&O to print it.

No kidding. That's what editor Williams said.

Take a look for yourself.

Then please do what I did: Print out a face copy. Somebody at the N&O might get to Linda and suggest that it would be better to …..

After Williams' comments, I hope you read some of the following reader comments. You’ll see those citizen journalists - God bless them – are at work even on Christmas Eve holding the N&O to account.

Another but related matter ---

The question of whether N&O libeled the Duke students when it published the “Vigilante” poster is discussed on the JinC thread of the Four Who Failed post.

Take a look at it. It’s a very “informed conversation.”

The question of N&O liability is a very complex one. I’ll post on it after Christmas.

Another item ---

Did I see what Friends of Duke University said following Brodhead’s “Coleman and I agree and Nifong owes us an explanation” press release?

Yes, I did.

Does FODU’s embrace of Brodhead post press release change my mind regarding my post welcoming Brodhead’s statement but saying he needed to move on in view of all he didn’t do that he so easily could have done; and that IMHO is was a Duke president’s duty to do?

No.

I ask myself: “Do I want to say more about all of that tonight?”

Heavens, no.

I want to get back to my family and Christmas.

But before doing that I want to say “Thank you” for what you do to make this blog better and for what you are doing at other places in the blogoshere to speak up for justice and the things it depends on – honest police officers, fair prosecutors and media committed to reporting truth.

I wish every one of you a blessed holiday.

Best,

John

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

For John in Carolina: Merry Christmas to you and your family. Thanks for providing a place for citizens to hold informed discussions.

Anonymous said...

You are also a hero of the hoax.
MerryXmas and Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all you are doing and the tremendous effort involved.
Please do not stop.

Anonymous said...

Check out the editors' blog at the News and Observer — especially the comments, more than 40 of them.