Sunday, September 17, 2006

The Tar Heel Made Me Smile

Classes at UNC – Chapel Hill started weeks ago. So I smiled when I read on the Sept. 15 front-page of Carolina’s student newspaper, The Daily Tar Heel, the headline :

FACULTY READY TO START WORK
Talk about a laid back group!

But the story which followed seemed to clear things up. It began :
The Faculty Council will meet today for the first time under new leadership.
Or did the story clear things up, I wonder?

The very able DTH editors surely knew they could have headlined :
FACULTY COUNCIL TO START WORK
So why didn’t they?

Could it be that DTH editors are miffed at their faculty? Is it possible for instance that the
FACULTY READY TO START WORK
headline is payback by editors only carrying A averages who know they really deserve A+ averages?

I decided to ask the DTH editor. I’m sending him an email that includes a link to this post.

I’m promising him I won’t say a word about anything he tells me except to all of you.

I’d hate to get him and the other editors in trouble with the faculty just as its starting work for the year.

0 comments: