Monday, May 01, 2006

Sorry for Blogger support difficulties

Folks,

I don't know if you'll get this post.

I've been having Blogger tech difficulties all day.

If you know Blogger, you know it doesn't give you much help.

I'm looking for another provider.

I've stayed with Blogger because it's hard to "migrate" archives from one support source to another. I've close to 1000 posts I'll need to take with me to another support source.

Any suggestions?

I'll gladly pay for better support and service to you than Blogger provides.

Blogger hasn't "launched" one of today's JinC posts.

It's "launched" another at Internet Explorer.

At AOL the same post is double posted and remains so despite my efforts to take down the second post.

At Mozilla I can't post at all. (Opps! Just checked Mozilla. Now it's double post there; and I can't take one down.)

So it goes.

Any advice will be appreciated.

I now some idea how the guy on the desert island putting the message in the bottle felt.

Tomorrow will be better I'm sure.

John

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had pretty good luck with PowerBlogs. Down once in the last six months that I've noticed. It's fairly cheap. Around $20/yr I think. Maybe less.

However, I like the look of Typepad blogs. No idea of the cost, but not much.

Barry said...

John,

I have been wanting to move to Typepad or Moveable Type myself, but can't really afford the additional hosting expense right now. It's not that they want a ton to host, they just usually want a year's payment in advance which is hard for me to swing right now.

You should be able to log into your Blogger account and delete the extra post. You will need to republish (entire blog I think?) and it should disappear. It has happened to me a few times and this has always worked. If the Blogger server hangs up, it will sometimes post without you knowing it, and when you go back and try it again you get a double posting. It can be quite irritating.

I'm not real sure why you would see different posts in different browsers. That's a new one on me.

I haven't heard from you in awhile and hope everything is ok with you.

Barry said...

By the way, John, another thing I've learned to do in Blogger is to write my post in Word before I post in Blogger's HTML editor. I've lost several posts in the past that I had to attempt to rewrite because Blogger had a publishing error.

Just thought I would offer that additional tidbit if you're not doing it already.

I also use Blogger's "mail to" feature to send an email of my post to an email account so that if they have a server crash I won't lose all of my posts.

Take care