Friday, July 14, 2006

Is the Raleigh News & Observer about to

disclose the locations of all speed traps used by the City of Raleigh police?

The N&O’s unbelievable executive editor for news, Melanie Sill, is being urged to have the N&O do just that by a reader at the Editor’s Blog where Sill regularly ducks readers' questions.

On the thread of a post in which Sill cheers the New York Times’ disclosure of national security secrets we find:

Comment from: Locomotive Breath [Visitor]

07/13/06 at 10:21
Ms. Sill,

Would you please investigate and then start publishing the location of all police speed traps in the City of Raleigh? I like to go fast and I know they're out there looking for me I just don't know where.

I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't subvert the police in their perfectly legal attempt to prevent me breaking the law and endangering other people. After all, the police are also monitoring the speed of law-abiding drivers and the general public has the right to know when and where they are being monitored.

Thanks for your cooperation.
I'm guessing Locomotive Breath, a very sensible person who sometimes comments here, really doesn't drive too fast. None of us should. I'll bet LB was just trying to help Melanie understand how strongly some citizens feel about the secret actions of an armed, uniformed group of government agents who - let's face it - are spying on us all every day.

Melanie should get right on the speed trap location story. After all, she's the one who said further up the same thread where LB commented :
The idea of our democracy is that citizens get to decide how we want government to operate, not the reverse. An independent press (print and electronic) serves citizens by informing them.
Doesn't that sound like the N&O is going to disclose the speed trap locations?

I mean, how can we decide how the police should operate the speed traps when we don't even know where they are?

I hope the N&O disclosures tell us a lot more besides locations. I'm hearing reports that at least some police officers enter the speed traps without first getting warrants. That's scary.

It looks like the N&O won’t get a Pulitzer for its slime and frame Duke lacrosse coverage. Maybe it will for its speed trap story.

I can't wait for tomorrow's N&O.

Nice comment, LB.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like to go fast but I don't because it's like, you know, against the law and stuff.

I came late to the party, and I doubt she'll get the point, but it's always worth trying.

JWM said...

LB,

Loved you comment at the EB.

She may get the point. She just won't smile.

You have a nice sense of humor.

John

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»