Sunday, June 12, 2005

Bloggers Pick Greatest Americans

At Betsy's Page I learned that John Hawkins at Right Wing News invited bloggers from the Left and Right to list their 20 greatest Americans.

Hawkins then ranked the "greatest" by number of votes. He included "honorable mentions," so the final lists for both Left and Right each contains 31 names. You can look at the Left bloggers list here; and the Right's here. Hawkins also identifies the blogs who did the picking.

Although "greatest" and Left and Right as used here are imprecise terms, the lists interest me. I hope they interest you too.

Some observations:

There's a notable gender disparity between the lists. The L's include 11 women; the R's 1.

No composer or visual artist received a single vote on either L or R lists.

Mark Twain is the only person we identify as primarily a writer who made both lists.

John F. Kennedy and Woodrow Wilson didn't receive a single vote from either L or R.

Dwight D. Eisenhower received votes from the R but George C. Marshall didn't.

On the other hand, Marshall received votes from the L while Eisenhower didn't.

Under the Don't Understand heading I put the following 2 items:

On the R list, Rush Limbaugh received votes; Bill Buckley didn't.

On the L list, George C. Marshall and Mother Jones received the same number of votes.

Yes, "greatest" lists are somewhat subjective; but then so is art. Both can provide pleasure and stimulate thought.

I plan to post later this week on Limbaugh's place on a greatest American list vs. Bill Buckley. Also, why I'd put Andrew Carnegie and Gertrude Elion on my 20 Greatest Americans list.

I'd like to hear from you regarding Hawkins' L and R lists, and what I've posted here.

4 comments:

Gun Trash said...

Re: We've got Rush, but no William F.

That is a bit strange. Wm Buckley didn't only publish Nat'l Review, but he did have that PBS program, Firing Line, for a number of years, plus wrote a couple of novels. But, you do hear Rush 3 hrs a day, M-F, so he's fresh in the mind. Bill Buckley is out sailing and mostly incommunicado these past few years.

But, to be honest, JinC. I don't know if I'd have thought of Bill Buckley myself, either. And me hardcore and a frequent subscriber of NR (depends on the subscription renewal deal they offer me - hey, I'm a capitalist!).

Anonymous said...

Presumably these are political greatest Americans?

Rosa Parks - for giving the finger, politely as only a southern woman can, to the establishment.

Zell Miller - ditto, only in the Marine style.

The Lone Chinese Man in Tianamen Square - he should have been born a southerner with that spirit.

Senator Sam - For "no shaming" McCarthy. (Who was right about commies in the state department, but still!)

Anonymous said...

C'mon ... that collection of miscreants listed as Lefties has got to be another attempt to discredit the rightful existence of idiots.

Advodiab

Anonymous said...

I read somewhere that Bird Flu is expected to arrive in the USA or Canada this fall.
It said it killed almost 60% of those who got infected.
Is it true ?
What can we do to avoid it ?