Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Churchill Series – Nov. 21, 2006

(One of a series of weekday posts on the life of Winston S. Churchill.)

Richard Langworth is a respected historian and editor of the Churchill Centre’s journal, Finest Hour. When he speaks, I listen.

I was delighted the other day when I learned he’d confirmed a remark I’d heard attributed to Churchill but was never quite sure he’d actually said. So I’ve hesitated to pass it on to you. Here from Langworth:

"It is established that in 1915 he wrote his brother Jack from Hoe Farm, where he was spending the summer, that he had all the necessities of life; ‘Hot baths, cold Champagne, new peas and old brandy.’”
BTW – I owe you all an apology. The other day I said Churchill’s Chartwell home is in Surry. An anonymous commenter correctly noted it’s in Kent.

I’m sorry for my error and thank Anonymous for pointing it out.

In a separate post I plan to use Anonymous’ comment to demonstrate that despite what some people think, bloggers have “editors” who review our work. Look for the post in the next week. It may take the form of a letter to an MSM editor.

John

0 comments: