Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Commending Kristin Butler

I just left a comment on the thread of Kristin Butler's Chronicle column.
Her column today deals with, among other matters, the possibility of suits against Duke by the 44 members of the lacrosse team who were not indicted, but were subjected to a horrible ordeal during which their physical safety was placed at great risk and some of their rights were very likely violated.

My comment was the second on the thread. Before I wrote anything to Butler, I responded to the previous Anon @ 9:45 commenter who wrote:

Kristin,

I would love to be in the courtroom when Ryan McFadyen comes in to argue that Duke should be forced to pay him millions of dollars in damages. That claim should be good for a few laughs.
To Anon @ 9:45,

I don't know if McFadyen will ask for millions.

On the other hand, wasn't he suspended by Duke for writing a disgusting parody of part of a work that was assigned in at least three courses at Duke?

Did Duke treat McFadyen as it treats all students who do that sort of thing?

Are you sure the DPD obtained McFadyen's email legally?

To Kristin,

Another superb column. I've posted on it and will again later today or tomorrow.

Your columns are an important service to the University. Very few people have the courage to speak truth to power.

Thank you.

John in Carolina
_________________________________

Folks, if you don't already, I urge you to read Butler's columns which appear in The Chronicle every Tuesday.

I plan in a few weeks to go back through her Hoax columns and offer you a post comparing what Butler's been saying with what Board of Trustees Chair Robert Steel, President Richard Brodhead, the faculty Group of 88 and others have been saying in response to the Hoax.

Throughout the Hoax, Butler's been a strong, clear, courageous voice for reason and justice.

Right from the time Crystal Mangum, Mike Nifong and DPD began telling their lies, Butler knew that facts don't change, and that students don't have to prove their innocence at trial. It's a pity President Brodhead didn't, and that the trustees have been so willing to support him in his ignorance.

Had University leaders paid more attention to Butler, the tragedies and injustices endured by the innocent would have been reduced because Duke would've made many fewer blunders.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is nice. Since I have no connection to Duke, I don't comment at the Chronicle site. Now I can say (and Ms. Butler may see it) I am incredibly impressed with her work and her courage. I'm sure she takes a great deal of abuse for the opinions she expresses. No matter how difficult it may be, you'll never regret doing what's right. But as smart as Kristin obviously is, no doubt she already knows that.