Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Churchill Series – Mar. 21, 2007

(One of a series of weekday posts on the life of Winston S. Churchill.)

This and that today ---

This:

Tomorrow my wife and I leave Australia on a direct, fourteen hour flight to Los Angeles. We then will take a three hour car trip to our ultimate destination.

You’re guessing I’m about to say something about no Churchill posts for a few days.

You’re right.

I won’t publish series posts on Mar. 22 or 23. The series will resume Monday, Mar. 26.

Between now and Mar. 26, I’ll be doing posts on the Hoax and other matters.

I think Churchill would understand that with limited blog time and extensive travel, I needed to “cut” somewhere; and that he could take a “cut” so long as I kept going after justice in the Hoax case and accountability by those who framed innocent people and those who enabled the criminals who did the framing.

Now to That:

If you’ll trust my memory, we can end this post with a little Q&A.

Question: In 1915, when he was about age 40, Churchill mentioned in a letter what he called “life’s four daily essentials.” What were they?

Answer: Cold champagne, warm brandy, fresh English peas and enough hot water for a bath.

How did you do?

Well enough to pop the cork and pour yourself a glass of champagne?

Or did you do so badly that all you want to do is quietly sniff and sip a warm brandy?

In either case, Churchill’s with you.

I hope you’re back here on Mar. 26.

Best,

John

0 comments: