Saturday, December 16, 2006

JinC Regular’s hearing report

JinC Regular and citizen reporter Locomotive Breath was there at yesterday’s hearing. He provides a very interesting, detailed account at Free Republic.

LB’s account includes some wonderful “color.” Here’s a bit of it:

At about this time the AP guys sees me with a notebook and asks for whom I'm reporting. I say "private citizen". I almost said "Freeper" to see if he would get it. But I was trying to remain anonymous so people might talk to me. (Sorry Dukie07 - no blue wrist band today.)

Too bad FreeRepublic can't get recognized as a media outlet and get us credentials. He then asks me to identify the defendants' lawyers for him 'cause he doesn't know who they are. (In your drive by report would you like fries with that?) I point out to him who they are to the best of my ability.

Well, OK, it's not like AP's credible anyway. He laments that someone whose name I don't know will probably do all the speaking and mess up his report.
Message to LB: Please don’t take this the wrong way but I think you should report for the Raleigh News & Observer. Nice work.

The rest of us can read LB’s report here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the notice.

Here's a little bit more detail about "Several lax parents brush off the H-S guy." This was witnessed/overheard as I was headed for the courtroom door after the end of the hearing. I'm using "lax parents" in the generic sense that these were people sitting behind the defendants of the right age to be team member parents and with the indicative wrist bands and buttons, i.e., these were not necessarily the parents of any of the defendants. This is approximately correct if not word for word.

Lax parents to H-S guy: "We'll talk to you if you promise to accurately report ALL we say."

H-S guy: "Of course we will."

Lax parents: "You haven't before."

[interview ends]

Another set of parents wouldn't even give him that much.

Memo to Bob Ashley. Tell your reporters to not PO your sources.

Anonymous said...

"Message to LB: Please don’t take this the wrong way but I think you should report for the Raleigh News & Observer. Nice work."

The NandO isn't up to Locomotive Breath's standards...

abb

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that. Besides, I think the N&O and I would be...er...philosophically incompatible.

Anonymous said...

Did Nifong smirk,laugh, and generally be arrogant? Has his demeaner changed at all? What is your impression of Smith? Did anyone approach KC? Thanks for the birds eye scoop.

Anonymous said...

I was behind Nifong in the back left corner of the room and all I could see was the back of his head. I was not in the earlier hearings so I can only compare with the bits I saw on TV and the descriptions I read.

In this hearing Nifong didn't seem to be "acting out" as much. In fact he sat quite still. I remember him sitting during the DNA testimony with his chin cupped in his left hand with his elbow on the table for a considerable period of time. That could be indicative of a lot of things.