Sunday, September 17, 2006

Duke lacrosse: Brodhead Information Wanted

I have a few questions Duke President Richard H. Brodhead and his top administrators can easily answer.

But it’s the weekend, so I hate to bother them now.

Maybe one of you can help me.

This morning I was researching for a post documenting President Brodhead’s responses to racist slurs and threats that are part of the Duke lacrosse case.

You’ll recall that on Mar. 13/14, the night of the party, a 911 call was made by a woman who claimed racist remarks were shouted at her and a companion as they passed the house where the party was held.

The public only became aware of the tape’s existence in late March when we were told the caller was unknown to police, something we now know to be false.

The caller, Kim Roberts, “the second danser,” had ID'ed herself to police more than a week before the tape became public.

After listening to the tape, President Brodhead on Mar. 29 issued a written statement :

I have now had the opportunity to listen to the tape. It is disgusting. Racism and its hateful language have no place in this community. I am sorry the woman and her friend were subjected to such abuse
In subsequent days and weeks Brodhead continued to speak out and condemn the racist slurs Roberts described.

So documenting Brodhead’s responses to Roberts’ allegations is very easy.

What I need your help with is documenting Brodhead’s response(s) to the racist threats, including death threats, Reade Seligmann was subjected to on May 18; first, as he walked to the Durham County Courthouse; and then, shortly afterwards, in the courtroom.

No doubt many of you watched and heard as racists repeatedly shouted “Justice will be served, Rapist” at Seligmann as he walked to the courthouse.

I’m told Court TV picked up more shouts of “Justice will be served, Rapist" as well as the death threat "Dead man walking." The reporter for The Guardian gave this description of the courtroom scene:
"From the gallery one onlooker shouted: 'Justice will be served, rapist!' Seligmann largely ignored the taunts, but as he left came the call 'Dead man walking!' and he blanched."
What a terrible day it must have been for Seligmann and his family.

As regards Brodhead's response(s)to the racist threats, including death threats shouted at Seligmannn, I’ve been unable to find any documentation.

I've read every one of President Brodhead's statements at Duke's lacrosse case web page. I've searched Duke's website using its engine and various combinations of the input words: President, Brodhead, Seligmann, New Black Panthers, racist, racial, death threat, statement, comment, and condemnation.

All that searching turned up nothing as regards Brodhead speaking out forcefully as he did after listening to Roberts' 911 call. Or for that matter, speaking out at all about the horrendous racism and death threats to which Reade Seligmann and his family were subjected on May 18.

I next tried the Raleigh News & Observer's archives. I did a customized search for the period May 18, 2006 to June 15, 2006 using the input word: Brodhead.

That search was no more successful than my other searches.

I'm sure you see why I'm asking for documentation of so extraordinarily important a matter.

If I don't have documentation by tomorrow, I plan to contact Brodhead directly.

Thank you.

John

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps Professor Coleman would be a good replacement for the pathetic Brodhead.

Anonymous said...

Thank you John! Brodhead is a COWARD! He is a disgrace to Duke and needs to be fired! Along with him out should go Dean Sue, Alleva, and the Trashman.

Anonymous said...

John, it would be illustrative to also find out exactly what Brodhead was doing that he wouldn't take a meeting with the parents of players. See KC's Bon Voyage post.

Anonymous said...

Oh, John, you and I are thinking alike ....I wrote about Brodhead at Liestoppers today as well. Please let me know the results of your research.

Maybe it's time to ask the trustees? Brodhead is their fair-haired boy, isn't he? Not a word of reproach.

Your work is excellent as always.

Anonymous said...

Joan, your writing was/is fabulous. It is time to ask the Trustees to "form an outside committee" to review the University's response and position....ah...committees...:)

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Brodhead,

I graduated Trinity in ‘75 and Duke University Graduate School of Business in ’78. I have written twice before and received only form responses.

I am disappointed more and more each day by the failure to demonstrate leadership in the LAX case.

You should write a letter to the Chronicle, the N&O, and the Herald. Let me help you write it:


RE: The case against 3 Duke Lacrosse Students

Dear Editors,

The following is too little too late, and for that I apologize, recognizing my apology is simply not enough.

I believe in legal due process and in our Duke Students. They are innocent. I encourage our Duke Family to assist in their defense. I personally will assist in their defense in whatever way their families would like.

I failed at a very important time in this process to meet with and offer my support the families of our students. I was wrong. I will be meeting soon with each of the students and their families involved in this case, beginning of course with the students that have been charged.

I recognize I cannot reverse the errors of the past. However, I can make sure they are not repeated and I can make sure to lead our students through example.

I will call to task myself, newspapers, bloggers, students, police, DA’s, lawyers, and all others in this case to higher standards.

Sincerely,


President Richard Brodhead


Try it out. You might find that leadership suits you.
/wts

Anonymous said...

I suspect John that you would have a great deal more fortune in finding a live genuine unicorn.

Anonymous said...

No, John. I didn't read any comment from President Brodhead towards Reade. He was quick enough to critize the racial slurs, yet he was not there when these ugly words had been told to Reade inside (only few feet away from Nifong) and outside of the court room. As 1:04 PM post says, "... Brodhead is a COWARD! He is a disgrace to Duke and needs to be fired!" This man has no backbone.

As a Duke parent, I do not want to see him during the Comencement; I do not want to listen his words to the graduating seniors. Who is he anyway to give some advice to my kid? I am sure there are so many parents out there who share my opinion.

My salary penny by penny goes to Duke University. So, Mr. Brodhead you practically work for me! Either show some leadership and read 3:48 PM post written by wts and follow his/her advice or find yourself another job. Enough is enough!

So, please John, proceed with your question to Brodhead. Why did he fail to say a word or two for Reade?

Anonymous said...

We also now know that Roberts' call itself was a hoax, in that the dancers were not subject to racial slurs, and the only thing said was the "cotton shirt" nonsense, which came after Roberts first had said something just as nasty. In other words, the original picture painted of the party is as much a lie as the charges against the three LAX players.

The more I read of Broadhead and his response to this whole thing, the more I realize that the man is unfit for his job, and that his being president of Duke University is nothing more than another example of the Peter Principle at work. Joan Foster's piece at Liestoppers really hit all of the important points. Here is a man who in what would be a defining moment of his presidency (I hope short) at Duke chose cowardice. Likewise, we see the other administrators and faculty at Duke also choosing either cowardice or deceitfulness.

I am thankful for those few at Duke who have stuck out their heads, as well as people like KC Johnson, John in Carolina, and the Liestoppers crew, not to mention a host of other bloggers and writers. I also add some of the outspoken LAX parents who have worked out front and behind the scenes. It is wonderful to see how the Internet has tied together so many people in an important cause.

Anonymous said...

I agree that Brodhead is a coward. Three of his students are being railroaded right in front of him and he says nothing. Not even when one of them is threatened by a known hate group. My hope is that someone at Duke will wake up and fire him.

Anonymous said...

Regarding what was Brodhead doing that he could not meet with the parents, well he was hiding under his desk! The trustees are asleep at the wheel. Can someone post the names of the trustees for us?