Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Isaac Stern and 144

I posted today about Raleigh News & Observer exec editor for news Melanie Sill's ducking and dodging reader's Duke lacrosse comments, questions and news tips.

The reader comments are all good, but if you're especially interested in all the news tips Sill's been ignoring, go down to 7/7/06 at 19:31 and start there.

"Geez, John, we came here for Isaac Stern."

OK, OK. When I started the post the comments totaled 144. The number reminded me of my favorite Isaac Stern story.

Stern was being interviewed by Bill Moyers or some other self-important MSM-type who kept mentioning his age, 72 at the time, and asking Stern questions like: "As you look back at your career, what do ..." and "Do you have a favorite concert you'd like to be remembered for?"

Stern finally had enough and said something very like: "Look, I may be 72 but I don't think my career is over. And I feel like I'm just in the middle of my life. Of course, it would help if I knew someone who was 144."

1 comments:

Jack Stanley said...

Hi

I was lucky to meet Isaac Stern and he was a delightful,entertaining man. I like that story you told. It totally fits Him.

Very nice blog you have. I also agree with your comments on the mainstream media.

best wishes Jack