Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The Churchill Series - May 2, 2006

(One of a series of weekday posts on the life of Winston S. Churchill.)

Folks,

Today I want to share some thoughts with those of you who’ve read the just completed six consecutive posts focusing on Churchill’s brother and only sibling, John (Jack) Strange Spencer Churchill (1880-1947).

If you missed any or all of the posts here are links to them: April 24, April 25, April 26, April 27, April 28, and May 1.

You know I set out to do a three post series. It ended up six: and I struggled to keep it at that.

That’s because there's to say about Jack and his relationship to Winston.

Jack Churchill was a substantial personality whose life is extremely interesting in its own right. Add to that the fact that he was one of Winston’s closest, if not closest, confidants from the time Winston was a boy until 1947 and what do you have?

Three posts? Six posts?

Jack Churchill deserves a multi-volume biography by biographer of the caliber of Martin Gilbert or David McCullough.

I’d planned to just mention Mrs. Everest in passing. What a mistake!

How did I think I could talk about the bond between the brothers and just mention in passing the woman who gave them both love and attention of the kind they would later each give to the other?

Goonie came along and had to be part of the brothers’ story. And from 1908 on, how do you leave Clementine out of anything important in Churchill’s life.

So the series certainly didn’t keep a “tight focus.”

With all that said, I want to ask you a few questions. I hope you’ll respond.

How did you like the series? What could I have done to better meet your interests?

What do you think of the idea of more short series focused a particular person or event in Churchill’s life?

Feel free to make other suggestions not prompted by these questions.

I’d like to hear from you.

John

2 comments:

Myra Langerhas said...

Looking forward to it. Sir Winston is the shiznit.

Anonymous said...

I believe Winton Churchill is the most important man of the 20th century. He has been a hero of mine ever since I was a lad.

I have won many times and survived unsurvivable odds because of the lessons of his perseverance and his admonition to fight on the beaches and the landing grounds...etc. He has not been just an abstract inspiration to me, but rather a real physical force in my life.

Indomitable spirit was the essence of Winston Churchill. I have tried to emulate him. Though not given to greatness, I have survived because I cannot be dominated. Thank you Mr. Churchill.

Any damn thing you can tell me about him, I want to know. The free world would not exist today without him. At the world's darkest hour, he held the lantern of salvation high and led those that would retain freedom down the path to liberty from the monsters of totalitarianism. Make no mistake about it, without him the will to resist would have been much weaker.