Wednesday, May 20, 2009

How Best Honor To Sen. Kennedy

The news that Sen. Ted Kennedy’s cancer is apparently now in remission led JinC Regular Tarheel Hawkeye to comment:

Much as I dislike that old windbag and disagree heartily with his political beliefs, I wish him well in his battle with cancer.
So do I and I'll bet so are all of you except maybe the trolls.

But I don’t agree with what I’m hearing from friends in Washington.

They tell me the Dems and their media flacks at TIME, Newsweek, NPR, NBC and the rest will soon be pushing a government run health plan and billing it as, among other things, a “tribute to Sen. Kennedy.”

I’m not opposed to a tribute for Kennedy but I fear Kennedy et al will do to our health care what they’ve done to the Boston Public School.

After 50 years of Kennedy and Dem government control the BPS system is now so bad that liberal academics and black and white upper middle class and wealthy parents refuse to send their children to its schools.

Instead, they
each year spend tens of thousand of dollars to send their children to Boston’s private schools.

But, as I say, I don’t oppose a tribute to Kennedy.

In fact, there’s now proposed off the coast of one of Kennedy’s plush oceanfront homes a very appropriate project to bear his name.

I’m thinking about what’s now called the Cape Wind project proposed for development well off the shore and barely visible from Kennedy’s Hyannis Port home on Cape Cod.. The project’s sponsors say:
Cape Wind is proposing America’s first offshore wind farm on Horseshoe Shoal in Nantucket Sound. Miles from the nearest shore, 130 wind turbines will gracefully harness the wind to produce up to 420 megawatts of clean, renewable energy. In average winds, Cape Wind will provide three quarters of the Cape and Islands electricity needs
If built, it well be the biggest wind farm ever built in North America.

The Senator opposes the project not, he insists, because it would be located in a speck of his ocean sailing grounds in Cape Cod Bay; or because on a clear day he can see just the tops of the windmills from the beach in front of his home.

He's got other reasons that I don't quite understand as they've been explained to me for about five years now.

But putting everything aside, if the project is eventually built, I think it should be named The Edward Moore Kennedy Wind Farm.

I can’t think of a more fitting tribute to Kennedy.

I hope Tarheel Hawkeye agrees.

And I hope most of you do, too


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

John:

Edward Kennedy will soon meet his maker. I wish him luck.

Ken
Dallas

Ken said...

I do not wish Senator Kennedy ill. I do not wish that he suffer. But I will support something to honor him when they can get Mary Jo Kopechne to dedicate it.

Anonymous said...

A wind farm named for a windbag? Somehow it seems right. Ken makes a very good point, though. If we were to link Teddy and Mary Jo in eternity by calling it the Chapaquiddick Kennedy/Kopechne Memorial, I could support it.
Tarheel Hawkeye

Anonymous said...

Hawkeye -- PERFECT!! Steve in New Mexico

Anonymous said...

I would like to think that Ted Kennedy reflects each evening, late at night, how his actions led to the death of a young woman and how he was more interested in saving his own political skin than he was in saving Ms. Kopechne.
Do you really think that the Kopechne family wants her name memoralized forever (when those of us who remember the incident at Chapaquiddick are long in our graves) with that of the man who responsible for her demise?
cks

Anonymous said...

I would like to think that Ted Kennedy reflects each evening, late at night, how his actions led to the death of a young woman and how he was more interested in saving his own political skin than he was in saving Ms. Kopechne.
Do you really think that the Kopechne family wants her name memoralized forever (when those of us who remember the incident at Chapaquiddick are long in our graves) with that of the man who responsible for her demise?
cks

Anonymous said...

To cks: I guess I forgot to press my "sarcasm" button. IMHO, the windbag doesn't give even a nanosecond of thought to Mary Jo.
Tarheel Hawkeye

Anonymous said...

Tarheel Hawkeye:

Touche! (also, did not realize I had posted the same thing twice).
cks

PS One of the great things about reading JinC has been reading your comments as well. Will miss your lively and sentient take on all the issues!

Anonymous said...

To cks:
Dear Lady--Your civil and erudite commentary has added so much to John's blog, I shall miss you. So long as some young minds are in your care, I shall not fear for the nation. I trust we shall encounter each other somewhere in the blogosphere in the future.
Tarheel Hawkeye

Anonymous said...

Dear Tarheel Hawkeye:

Thank you for your kind words. Perhaps JinC will one day (when discovery is granted in the lax case?) resurrect his blog and all those who posted here can again resume the conversations that we have had these past months. Until such time, I hope that I will come across your postings on other sites in the great blogosphere>

Always,
cks